We did it! We set out to prove that children in under-performing and under-resourced schools can thrive with the right resources.
We hired Sylvan Learning to provide 15 children, 50 hours of support education to help them achieve literacy at EnCompass Academy in East Oakland.
When Sylvan Learning tested the children at the beginning of the program, they were behind one year to over two years behind grade level in literacy. Here are the results of our five-week program:
- 93% of the students enrolled in our pilot program at EnCompass completed it
- The attendance rate was 86%, or an average of 43 hours completed in the 50-hour program
- Students advanced by almost 1/2 of a school year to grade level
- Students grew on all three components of the Sylvan Outlook Survey, indicating a 25% increase in their engagement with school, improvement in their academic perseverance, and in their confidence in reading.
- 100% of the parents surveyed indicated that the program was beneficial, it helped their child to read better, their child enjoyed the program, and their confidence in reading improved.
The EnCompass Summer School Pilot proved to be a successful partnership between Right Path to Learning, Sylvan Learning, and the families and staff of EnCompass Academy. The school staff was thrilled with the overall academic results and are eager to partner again in the Fall and Spring. Based on the success this Summer, we intend to continue to provide additional services to Oakland Unified School District students in the advancement of our goal of ensuring that 2,000 under-resourced students reach literacy by the end of 3rd grade.
As the parent of one of our students put it, “If you believe it, you can do it!” Our response is YES, WE CAN!
After consultation with EnCompass Academy and Sylvan Learning staff, we have decided to move the program from a Summer School program to an After School program starting January 2022.
That is where you come in. Our results were great but to repeat our success we need your help. Please donate. It is tax-deductible and will make you feel good about helping children.
or make a donation via check made payable to:
Oakland Public Education Fund
P.O. Box 71005 Oakland, CA 94612
Memo Line: Right Path to Learning